A criminal conviction will have an impact on every area of your life. You could lose your job, your home, and your family—not to mention your freedom. Even a misdemeanor conviction can seriously affect your future. If you have been arrested and charged with a crime, it is vital that you speak to an experienced and aggressive criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. The lawyers at MacDowell Law Group have over 70 years of combined experience defending clients accused of crimes in Northern Virginia. Our skilled and compassionate attorneys believe that everyone has the right to defend themselves when they have been accused of a crime, and we will work hard to protect your rights, regardless of the charges you are facing.
We Defend Clients Facing a Range of Criminal Charges
In Virginia, crimes may be charged as misdemeanors or felonies, depending on the level of violence, the amount of money, or the type of drugs involved, as well as other factors. Felony convictions carry the most prison time and steepest fines, but misdemeanors also carry significant penalties, including jail time and a lasting criminal record. We have successfully defended clients charged with the following crimes:
- Drug offenses
- Malicious wounding
- Domestic violence
- Child internet offenses
- Internet crimes
- Traffic crimes
- Assault & battery
- Other offenses
Our criminal defense attorneys also handle expungement petitions and appeals.
What to Do If You or a Family Member Is Arrested
What you do when you are first approached by law enforcement can make a big difference in the outcome of your case. Whether you are guilty or not, we suggest the following approach when you are suspected of a crime:
- Be respectful and compliant, but not overly cooperative
- Only answer the most basic questions to identify yourself
- Call the criminal defense attorneys at MacDowell Law Group as soon as possible
- Do not answer any questions without your attorney present
- Do not discuss your case with anyone other than your attorney
- Do not agree to any offers or plea bargains made by the prosecution without your attorney present
The sooner in the criminal process you secure legal representation, the more options your attorney will have available to them to defend you.
What Our Skilled Attorneys Can Do for Your Case
Our defense attorneys have decades of experience advocating for the accused and aggressively protecting their rights. Our lawyers understand how prosecutors think and how to challenge their allegations at every phase of a case. Even when it is not possible to get the charges dropped, our team can still secure a positive outcome for you. Depending on the unique details of your case, we might be able to:
- Negotiate for lesser charges
- Argue to avoid the harshest penalties, including reducing possible jail time
- Investigate the incident, contact witnesses, gather evidence, and build a strong defense for trial
- Look for evidence of police misconduct or prosecutorial errors
- Enter motions to suppress evidence that was obtained illegally
- Protect your Constitutional rights every step of the way
When you work with our attorneys, you can count on us to be honest and respectful and to keep you informed of your options to help you make the best decisions for your case. We will also help your family understand what is going on at each stage of the process.
Do You Find Yourself In Need Of A Virginia Criminal Defense Lawyer?
If you've recently found yourself in need of an experienced criminal defense attorney in Virginia you should speak with us as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Fairfax, Virginia law office at 703.277.2811 to schedule your free consultation.