Free Consultation | Available 24/7(703) 844-4519
Firm Logo

What happens if you move out of state after your divorce?

The desire to start a new life isn’t one that’s unheard of when you go through a divorce. For some divorcees, this is as simple as moving to a new state. But there are some challenges when you share children with your ex. Fortunately, there are laws in place that help ensure that both parents can remain active parts of the child’s life despite the distance between them.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) is meant to simplify things when there are two states involved in a child custody case. In short, the interstate child custody arrangement requires that the legal matters be based on the laws in the primary jurisdiction. This is either the state where the initial child custody order was issued or the state in which the child’s permanent residence is in.

The only two states that don’t abide by the UCCJEA are Vermont and Massachusetts. As long as you or your child don’t reside in those two states, the terms of the interstate act will apply to your case. It’s imperative that you find out which state is going to have the jurisdiction over the child custody matters, so you know where you need to focus your efforts.

There are several things that can come into the picture in these cases. For example, you might be able to get virtual visits in between the in-person visits to help shore up your relationship with your child. Thee terms of these visits, as well as all other agreements you have related to the children, should be included in the parenting plan for future reference if there are ever issues.

Are You Need Of A Family Law Lawyer In The Fairfax Area?

Do you need to speak with an experienced Family law lawyer? Please contact us online or call our Fairfax family law office directly at 703.277.2811.