It doesn’t matter how careful you are as a driver or pedestrian—another driver’s negligence can change your life in an instant. As attorneys who have represented motor vehicle accident victims for 25 years in Northern Virginia, we have seen it all, and one thing we know for sure is that the sooner you contact us to help with your accident recovery, the better off you will be. This is because accident victims tend to make mistakes that undermine the value of their claim. By talking to our experienced legal team right away, you can avoid these mistakes and increase your chances of getting the full value of your claim from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Mistakes to Avoid at the Scene of a Northern Virginia Crash
In the shocking aftermath of a major crash, it can be difficult to know what to do. At the scene of the crash, or at any point after the accident, it is important that you avoid making the following common mistakes:
- Admitting fault. Because Virginia is a contributory negligence state, any statement you make that could be perceived as admitting fault for the accident could bar you from any recovery of your injuries under Virginia law. You should not apologize or make any statement about your actions before the crash.
- Not calling the police. A police report will be an important document when making a claim for damages. Always call the police and wait for them to arrive at the scene of the crash.
- Not getting medical care. You might think you are not seriously hurt right after a crash. This could be due to adrenaline and your own desire for the whole thing to just go away. However, getting a medical evaluation as soon as possible could not only uncover hidden injuries but will also help you prove that the crash caused your injuries when you file a claim later on.
- Giving a recorded statement. You should not talk to the at-fault driver’s insurance company at all before talking to your own attorney, but you definitely should not agree to let an insurance adjuster record your statement about the accident. This could come back to haunt you.
- Accepting a settlement. If the insurer for the at-fault driver offers you a quick settlement, you can be pretty sure that your claim is worth a lot more. Do not accept the first offer they make.
When you work with the team at MacDowell Law Group, P.C., we will take over all communications with the insurance companies, allowing you to avoid these mistakes and focus on your recovery.
We Represent Victims of All Types of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Each type of motor vehicle accident presents unique challenges. You do not want to hire an attorney who has never handled an injury claim for the type of accident in which you were involved. In our 25 years, we have successfully resolved the following types of accidents:
- Car. Virginia auto insurance laws are especially tough for motor vehicle accident victims. Our experienced team will navigate the process for you, maximizing your recovery.
- Truck. Semi-trucks do serious damage in a crash. Our attorneys understand the federal laws that govern the trucking industry and are not afraid to take on their corporate lawyers to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Motorcycle. If you don’t know what steps to take following a motorcycle accident, you run the risk of being victimized again—by insurance companies or juries who want to prevent you from getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. Our lawyers are dedicated to representing riders who have been injured in motorcycle accidents caused by negligent drivers.
- Commercial vehicles. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle collision with a taxi, a delivery van, or a maintenance truck, you will need an attorney who has experience dealing with commercial liability insurance companies.
- Pedestrians. We have successfully represented bicyclists and pedestrians who have been struck by careless drivers, including drunk drivers and hit-and-run motorists.
- Drunk drivers. Virginia provides for punitive damages in drunk driving accidents if the driver has a BAC of .15 or greater, but not all attorneys know how to properly prove these types of cases. We do.
- Wrongful death. Families who have suffered the loss of a loved one in a fatal accident need more than legal advice to get through the trauma. Our attorneys and staff are committed to doing everything we can to meet your family’s legal and emotional needs.
Victims who were seriously injured in an accident—regardless of the types of vehicles involved—need a knowledgeable representative to help them navigate the complex personal injury legal process.
We Will Make a Difference in Your Accident Claim
If you or a loved one was injured in a motor vehicle accident, do not wait to talk to an attorney. Contact us today for a free consultation. We will provide an honest assessment of your case and use our extensive litigation experience to determine whether it’s in your best interests to go to trial or to negotiate a settlement. MacDowell Law Group, P.C., is committed to helping accident victims recover all that they deserve.