PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

To Your Case.

Serving Northern Virginia
Since 1995

My child doesn’t want to visit their other parent

| Mar 3, 2021 | Divorce |

Co-parenting can be challenging at the best of times. It requires that you maintain contact with a person from whom you chose to separate for the sake of your children. However, when you believe that the other parent of your child is potentially having a negative impact on your child, the process becomes even harder.

All children go through phases at different stages in their childhood. Their preferences will change, and sometimes they will want to rebel just to test their boundaries. However, when your child tells you that they do not want to visit their parent or refuses to go on a visitation, this should be taken seriously. While refusing visitation once could just be an anomaly, refusing to visit their other parent indefinitely could be a sign that something is wrong. The following are some tips for what to do in this situation.

Ask the right questions

Rather than assuming that their refusal to visit their other parent is an attempt to rebel, ask questions. Make sure that your child feels that they can be honest with you and that they know that you will not react negatively no matter the answer. It could be simply that they want to be with their friends in your neighborhood this weekend. However, it could also be due to more serious circumstances such as their other parent acting abusively.

Address safety concerns immediately

If your child informs you that visiting their other parent could pose a risk to the health or well-being, you need to take action immediately to modify visitations. In this case, you have the right to refuse to take your child to their visitation. However, if the reason is not related to their safety or well-being, your child should still attend their visitation.

If you believe that your child’s visitation arrangement is not in their best interests, you should take action to modify the child custody arrangement so that changes can be made.