PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

To Your Case.

Serving Northern Virginia
Since 1995

Fatal Christmas Day Crash in Springfield

| Dec 29, 2017 | Personal Injury |

On Christmas Day, while millions of people throughout Virginia were celebrating the holidays, singing carols, and opening presents, an unnamed individual was driving through Springfield when they lost control of their car and crashed. The Fairfax County Police issued an initial report which details the most important facts around this case, although the report makes clear to point out that the entire incident is still under investigation.

According to the Fairfax County Police, it was just before midnight when the driver, who was in the westbound lanes of the Capital Beltway, joined an off-ramp to exit the main highway. It was while navigating the off-ramp that the driver failed to maintain authority over their vehicle and the car collided with one of the ramp’s barrier walls. The force of the collision was enough to cause the car to overturn, flip over the barrier, and land on opposite side. The car then erupted into flames.

By the time first responders were able to reach the vehicle it was completely consumed by fire. Despite the best efforts of the fire rescue, paramedics, and police, there was no way to access the individual in the car in enough time to save them. The driver of the burning car was pronounced dead at the scene of the incident.

At the time of this writing, the name and other details of the deceased individual have not been released. It is believed that the authorities were ultimately able to identify them and are now waiting until the individual’s family are notified before more concrete facts relating to their identity are distributed to the general public.

The initial statement from the Fairfax County Police did not say whether or not any other cars were involved in the crash, however the absence of such a fact would indicate that only the one vehicle and person were affected directly by this terrible accident. The area was shut down for a few hours while officers conducted an initial investigation and cleared the roadway of all accumulated debris.

More facts will emerge as the investigation continues, although it is up to the family of the deceased whether or not their identity will be revealed.