Representing Families Since 1995
Whether you need help with an uncontested divorce or representation at a juvenile and domestic relations district court hearing, our family law attorneys of MacDowell Law Group, P.C., can provide reliable advice and committed legal advocacy. Speak with us to learn how you can benefit from our practical and focused approach to divorce and family legal issues.
Call our Fairfax office at 571-748-5647 to arrange a meeting with one of our experienced lawyers.
Dedicated Representation In All Divorce Matters
The attorneys offer comprehensive client service in divorce proceedings and all related matters, including:
- Uncontested divorce and separation: We will take the time to discuss your situation and see whether this might be the best option for ending your marriage.
- Military divorce: A divorce involving members of the armed services involve particular challenges regarding custody, visitation, and the division of pensions and benefits. We have extensive experience guiding people through this complex area of the law.
- High net worth divorce: When you have significant assets, you need experienced legal counsel who understands the nature and extent of your marital estate.
- Domestic violence in divorce: We can help protect you and your family when there has been a history of or there is a present threat of violence to your family.
- Spousal maintenance: Also called alimony or spousal support, we can advise clients concerning their right to receive or obligation to pay spousal maintenance.
- Property division: The division of property is meant to be carried out equitably. This means that instead of a 50/50 split, property will be divided fairly among divorcing couples. We can help protect your interests and avoid protracted litigation by crafting equitable property settlement agreements. We can also help split retirement investment accounts and handle the division of pensions, as well as address any business valuation issues.
Experienced Help With Child Custody And Support Issues
Our lawyers have extensive experience helping divorcing couples with children address all of their issues, including those involving:
- Child custody and visitation concerns: Determining custody and visitation plans can be highly emotional. We can help relieve some of the stress and work toward a plan designed with your child’s best interests in mind.
- Relocation: A parent may need to move far away for any number of reasons. When this happens, we can help with modifications to a custody and visitation plan.
- Child support matters: We can explain all aspects of Virginia’s child support laws, from determining initial obligations and establishing a plan for college funding, to the enforcement of court orders if payments are not being made.
- Third-party visitation: We can help get legal recognition of visitation rights for non-parental relationships, including the establishment of grandparent’s rights and relative’s rights.
Working With Nontraditional Families
We also handle all family law matters for nontraditional families, including:
- Domestic partnerships: Modern family dynamics are much different than they were a generation ago. We can handle all family law issues for nonmarried heterosexual and same-sex couples.
- Domestic violence: Domestic violence is not exclusive to married couples. You do not need to be married to benefit from legal protections in an abusive relationship. We can help you seek protective orders.
In addition to handling all of the above family legal matters, we can also help with the negotiation, review and enforcement of your prenuptial agreement.
Get The Skilled Counsel You Need. Contact Our Team Today.
If you are going through a divorce or need assistance with any other type of family issue, we are prepared to help. Arrange your confidential consultation by contacting us online or over the phone at 571-748-5647.