PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

To Your Case.

Serving Northern Virginia
Since 1995

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Grandparent Visitation Rights

Upholding Your Rights To Child Visitation

The impact of a divorce and child custody and visitation is not limited to parents and their children. Oftentimes, grandparents get caught in the middle, wanting to side with their child and wishing to preserve visitation rights to their grandchildren.

At MacDowell Law Group, P.C., our lawyers help to preserve grandparents’ rights to visitation with their grandchildren. As with many third-party visitation cases, claims involving grandparents’ rights are complex, requiring the dedication of an experienced attorney.

Skilled Assistance With Your Grandparents’ Rights Case

Laws in the state of Virginia provide for the possibility of court-ordered grandparent-grandchild visitation. Grandparents may also seek temporary or permanent custody of a grandchild under certain circumstances, such as:

  • A parent can be proven unfit due to alcohol or drug abuse or engaging in criminal activity
  • A legitimate fear exists that a parent may do something to intentionally endanger their child
  • The parental rights of both parents have been terminated
  • A parent with sole custody passes away

Whether grandparents are seeking visitation rights or custody of their grandchildren, they must demonstrate to the courts that their request is in the best interests of the child or children in question.

Learn How To Protect Your Relationship With Your Grandchildren. Contact Us.

Our goal is to help you find a clear path to a favorable outcome in cases involving grandparents’ rights. We work closely with you to determine the strengths and weaknesses of your position and to identify the most effective ways to resolve your case.

If you are interested in pursuing your visitation rights as a nonparent, call our Fairfax firm at 571-748-5647. To discuss your legal options, complete our online contact form.