PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Experienced Attorneys, Dedicated To Your Case.

Serving Northern Virginia
Since 1995

Police in Fairfax County are in the process of investigating an incident that took place in Chantilly on Friday, April 16th, that resulted in the death of a 33-year-old man from Leesburg. Official reports do not offer much in the way of information, and it is believed that the investigation into the individual’s death is still ongoing, but we do have several pieces of information regarding the incident that have come via official news sources and police reports.

At some unspecified time during Friday night, the 33-year-old Leesburg man was on a motorcycle driving down the road in Chantilly. It is not clear if he was traveling on Lee Jackson Memorial Highway or if he was on Pleasant Valley Road, but we know that it was as he neared the intersection of these two streets that he suddenly attempted to perform what is known in the biking community as a “wheelie.” This involves the rider shifting their weight while performing a subtle series of acceleration shifts to raise the front of the bike off of the ground as much as several feet for an extended period of time. Needless to say, driving a motorcycle while it is in this position is incredibly dangerous as the driver of the motorcycle has little to no control over the bike while the front end is hovering in the air.

Before the 33-year-old biker was able to return the motorcycle to the proper place on the roadway, he lost control and shot off of the road. In the space of a few seconds, the motorcycle blasted through a line of shrubs and then over a ravine that was located near to the intersection.

Someone who witnessed the crash called 9-1-1 and emergency response teams with Fairfax County arrived at the scene shortly afterward. They found the man badly injured but still alive at the bottom of the ravine. He was lifted into an ambulance and taken to a hospital located near to the crash site. It was while he was in this medical facility that he died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the crash.

At the time of this writing, Fairfax County Police are looking into whether or not speed was a major contributing factor to the crash.