A single-car crash that took place in the city of Dunn Loring early this past Wednesday resulted in an extremely dangerous situation after live electrical wires were scattered across the street. Police and firefighters from various units across Fairfax County responded to the accident and a report was issued shortly after the initial cleanup and investigation was completed.
We now know that the accident took place on Gallows Road, somewhere in the 2400 block. A single car was driving down the road at close to 1:00 in the morning when something happened to cause the driver of the car to lose control and drive off of the road. The car careened towards a row of trees, colliding into them with enough force to bring down a utility pole that was in the area.
The falling pole brought with it a humming nest of electrical wires that supplied power to the houses in the area. The wires fell across both the road and a house that was nearby. Sparks from the wires then ignited several fires. One of these fires was on the utility pole itself; another was caused by sparks showering the roadway which had become slick with flammable fluids from the crippled car. A third fire was started at a residence. The report indicated that the flames began to spread both inside the home and underneath a deck that was attached to the home's exterior. According to investigators with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, the fire within the home happened due to an electrical arc which was a direct result of the downed line.
Four people were inside the home at the time of the fire. It is believed that all four were able to escape the building safely. It is not clear if the house was badly damaged in the fire or if the flames were able to be suppressed before they spread too far.
The 22-year-old driver of the car somehow emerged from the ordeal with only minor injuries. After some field sobriety tests, the individual was deemed to be intoxicated and is now awaiting trial on DUI charges.